Translate

Friday, May 23, 2014

three things i'm trying to quit...

      we all have things we struggle with, things we need to give up. i have more than these three things, for sure. these are just the ones that i know are most important for me to quit right now. 

i don't really put that many packets in my cup.
      1.  fake sugars. we’ve all heard the rumors that “they” tell about fake sugars: what it’s doing to your brain, how awful it is for you in the long run, etc. well living w/ diabetes can lead to using fake sugars instead of real sugar.

the one place i tend to use fake sugar a lot, or at all, is in my coffee.  even though i only drink decaf, I still drink a lot of coffee five days of the week.  at the end of each day i may have consumed between 10 to 15 packets of fake sugar. ridiculous. i know. this has been going on for about a year now, maybe longer.

so this week i decided to start backing off of them and now i’m down to 6-9 a day. of course, the end goal of this is to not use them anymore. my goal for next week is 4-6. slowly but surely :)

what is sleep?
2. staying up late. i can’t remember a time when i didn’t enjoy staying up late. i always feel like I need to be the last one asleep in the house. i’d like to blame this on (but cannot) years of slumber parties where the first girl who fell asleep always had the misfortune of ending up w/ whip cream in her face, or some other absurd prank young girls like to play on one another. i never wanted to be that girl. and I never was :)

fast forward some years and here i am. always hopeful of going to sleep before the 12 o’clock hour, and pretty much failing to meet that curfew every night. i get this second wind and then it’s all over. and of course i play on my phone for a good 30 minutes each night once i get in bed. dropping it on my face at least once during that time.

i am usually running off of six to six and a half hours each night, excluding friday nights if i am fortunate enough to sleep in the next day. and just like fake sugars, not getting enough sleep is so bad for your health, in so many way and on so  many levels.

if i do happen to get seven to eight hours of sleep a night, i feel so good and so happy about it and think “i should do this every night!” i’m just not consistent in this area of my life. and I NEED to be, as it leads to my third thing that i need to quit…

this is my actual alarm :)
3. showing up late to places. including, but certainly not limited to: work, dinner, coffee dates or working out w/ a friend. i know that it is so selfish and disrespectful. i am fortunate to be surrounded by super loving and gracious friends, family, bosses and coworkers.

from time to time, people get upset w/ me about said tardiness. some people even pick on me about it. i can say that i try my best to get places on time, but if i was really trying my best then this wouldn’t be on the list, now would it?

oddly enough, when i do show up somewhere early I feel so awkard, like “what do i do w/ this time?” it’s as if i have no idea where to stand or sit or what to do w/ myself. weird you say? yes, I agree :) however, if it is a serious situation, such as being in a wedding, i will not be late. that would be the worst offense.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

friends, hold me accountable, please. ask me how i’m doing with these three things when you see me or talk to me. i hope to tell you by the end of this summer that i have conquered all three :)

wishing you all a safe memorial day weekend!
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

No comments: